Thursday, March 19, 2009

Misha - name meaning and origin

The boy's name Misha \m(i)-sha\, also used as girl's name Misha, is pronounced MEE-sha. It is of Russian origin. Nickname for Michael. See also Mike.

Misha has 1 variant form: Mischa.

Baby names that sound like Misha are Micha, Moshe and Mioshe.

Misha is a very rare male first name and a very rare surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census).

Misha is my nickname. It was given to me by a bunch of horny Soviet sailors in 1986. I used it sporadically until 2000, when I started working on a L&D unit that already had a Michelle (She uses two, mine is spelled with one) working the night shift. So I said, "Call me Misha" and it stuck.

Very few people call me Michele these days. When they do, it is usually because they are mad at me or are trying to annoy me. Except my mom. When she calls me Misha, it creeps me out. She says Misha like she has a turd in her mouth when she is saying it, so I prefer that she uses Michele.

I'll tell you about the horny sailors tomorrow. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny, because I was totally going to call you Michele if I ever talked to you or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horny Soviet sailors, please. :)

    ReplyDelete